Assessment of Accessible Facilities
St James' Park
St James' Park
Newcastle upon Tyne
Club / stadium contact for disabled supporters
Jan Brien (ticketing enquiries) or Steve Storey (Safety Officer and DLO)
0844 372 1892 option 1 then option 2 or 0191 2018528
Disabled Supporters Association
Gareth Beard Chair
For UK minimum access standards for new and existing stadia and for good practice guidance please click here.
Getting There & Parking
120 car park spaces are available outside the stadium, with plenty of accessible spaces within easy access of the Sports Direct Arena. As the stadium is perched on a hill side, access can be difficult in some instances quite steep inclines around the perimeter of the ground. For accessible parking enquiries please contact Danielle Hourigan on 0191 2018559 or email email@example.com
National Rail have published links to the nearest stations to sporting venues including Newcastle United see here for more information.
Level Playing Field have not verified the information given and we suggest that you contact the station direct if you have any access requirements.
Getting a Ticket
For information on purchasing a ticket please visit the Newcastle Utd Website. For all disabled ticketing enquiries please contact Jan Brien on 0844 3721892 option 1 then option 2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Spectator Viewing areas
170 spaces for wheelchair users at designated points within the stadium with 12 spaces designated within the visiting supporters area. Access is available from the ground level outside of the stadium by lifts up to the wheelchair platforms (some are extremely high up in the stands). All away places and most home positions are covered. Further provisions to seat wheelchair users in any one of the 92 executive boxes with further spaces available within the magpie restaurant and gallowgate restaurants.
There is currently no limit on the amount of ambulant disabled supporters in any of the 4 main stands.
NB: Under existing minimum standards for accessible stadia, the club should have 234 wheelchair spaces (199 home and up to 35 away). 75% of these should be elevated positions and the remaining 25% pitchside.
LPF's view is that many disabled supporters should be able to access general seating areas and only those with specific needs eg those who require extra legroom, or access via aisle seats or who need step free access etc should be allocated seats in the dedicated areas.
Based on the above, the club therefore only meets 73% of the guidance and has a shortfall of 64 wheelchair spaces. They should be working on a plan to rectify this deficit within a reasonable timeframe under the auspices of a full independent Access Audit.
Accessible toilet facilities are found in the main concourse areas of stadium. Steward assistance on request. Catering facilities in same area - no designated counters for disabled fans.
Accessible services & information
The Club has induction loops installed in the main reception, the Box Office and all Official Club Stores. The Box Office is also equipped with a text phone for supporters who are Deaf or hard of hearing.
24 seats are fitted with facilities to access audio commentary within the North East Corner where assistance dogs can also be accommodated.
Match day programmes are produced in Braille and large print formats.
Updated October 2013.
DSA Additional Information
The Club is proud to support the Newcastle United Disabled Supporters Association (NUDSA).
Formed in 1988 the objectives of the association are to improve facilities and services on offer to disabled supporters of Newcastle United.
The association's committee meets monthly at St. James' Park and is in regular dialogue with the Club.
More information on NUDSA can be found at http://www.nudsa.org
Comments about Newcastle United :
If you would like to make your own comment, click the 'MAKE A COMMENT' button below -
you do not have to join the site in order to make a comment.
Note: in an effort to ensure dialogue is fair and without malice, all comments are evaluated by Level Playing Field
before they are published on the site. This can cause a slight delay before comments appear.