Stadium of Light
The Stadium of Light
Club / stadium contact for disabled supporters
0871 911 1255
Disabled Supporters Association
0191 384 7835
For UK minimum access standards for new and existing stadia and for good practice guidance please click here.
Getting There & Parking
Disabled parking for 160 home and 5 or 6 away supporters within stadium grounds and close to stadium entrances. Some spaces are available on a match by match basis. 80 spaces have wide access.
National Rail have published links to the nearest stations to sporting venues including Sunderland see here for more information.
Level Playing Field have not verified the information given and we suggest that you contact the station direct if you have any access requirements.
Getting a Ticket
Information on ticketing can be found on the Sunderland AFC website.
Tickets for disabled and & blind and partially sighted supporters can be purchased by contacting SAFC Ticket Office on 0871 911 1973 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Spectator Viewing areas
Home supporters have 154 spaces for wheelchair users available to them. 6 spaces for wheelchair users can be found in the away section for away supporters. All in elevated positions. The Away area is in the Carling Upper Stand with Personal Assistants elevated behind. Pitchside positions give partial cover.
Ambulant supporters are able to sit anywhere with their Personal Assistant to enjoy the game, from any seat they choose.
If for any reason, an ambulant supporter feels they have more specific seating requirements (a certain area, block or row) they should contact the club’s Disability Liaison Officer to discuss their individual requirements in more detail.
NB: Under existing minimum standards for accessible stadia, the club should have 226 wheelchair spaces (192 home and up to 34 away). 75% of these should be elevated positions and the remaining 25% pitchside.
LPF's view is that many disabled supporters should be able to access general seating areas and only those with specific needs eg those who require extra legroom, or access via aisle seats or who need step free access etc should be allocated seats in the dedicated areas.
Based on the above, the club therefore only meets 71% of the guidance and has a shortfall of 66 wheelchair spaces. They should be working on a plan to rectify this deficit within a reasonable timeframe under the auspices of a full independent Access Audit.
23 accessible toilets, some on concourse directly behind platforms. 3 toilets next to lifts by South West corner ramp for use by wheelchair users at pitchside. Radar locks, alarms and warning lights are in operation. Refreshment facilities are available on concourse level, with low-level counters. Tray service is also available. Pitchside positions offer limited access to catering facilities at the mid-tier levels.
Accessible services & information
Blind and partially sighted supporters can enjoy match commentary at all home games on headsets which can be booked with the Disabled Liaison Officer at the time of buying a ticket.
All the stadium is under cover; however supporters in pitch level areas may get wet dependant on the direction of the wind.
Nathan Shippey Sensory Room
Sunderland AFC have become the first Premier League club to build a designated sensory room for supporters who are affected by the noise levels of the stadium seating areas.
The Nathan Shippey Sensory Room, named after a young supporter who has helped develop the first-of-its-kind project and is now available for Sunderland supporters.
The room is located in the Black Cats Bar and tickets are subject to availability. If you are interested in using this sensory room this season please contact the Disability Liaison Officer or email@example.com for further information.
Sunderland Club Website - Disabled Supporters Information
Updated August 2016.
Comments about Sunderland AFC:
If you would like to make your own comment, click the 'MAKE A COMMENT' button below -
you do not have to join the site in order to make a comment.
Note: in an effort to ensure dialogue is fair and without malice, all comments are evaluated by Level Playing Field
before they are published on the site. This can cause a slight delay before comments appear.