Assessment of Accessible Facilities
Sir Matt Busby Way
Club / stadium contact for disabled supporters
0845 230 1989
Disabled Supporters Association
0845 230 1989
For UK minimum access standards for new and existing stadia and for good practice guidance please click here.
Getting There & Parking
Parking for all home and away supporters who are wheelchair users is situated about 50 metres from the disabled supporters' entrance to the stadium in a dedicated car park. From the car park there is a considerable slope down to the entrance point with level access within the stadium.
If you obtain a ticket as a wheelchair user you will automatically be granted a FREE parking place.You will not receive a Parking Permit but your name (as provided to us) will be entered onto a Match Invitation List which is issued to all relevant stewards. Make your way to the stadium giving your name to our stewards and enter the large car park (named E2) opposite the front of the stadium (East Stand) on Sir Matt Busby Way. Supporters using wheelchairs will need to use car park W2 if their allocated place is in the North West Quadrant.
Blue Badge Parking: Ambulatory disabled/visually impaired supporters can book accessible parking bays close to their entrance point by contacting 0845 230 1989.
National Rail have published links to the nearest stations to sporting venues including Manchester United see here for more information.
Level Playing Field have not verified the information given and we suggest that you contact the station direct if you have any access requirements.
Getting a Ticket
Information on purchasing a ticket please visit the Manchester United Website
Spectator Viewing areas
Home supporters have 108 spaces for wheelchair users available to them and 102 spaces for cup matches. 12 spaces for wheelchair users can be found in the home section for away supporters and 18 spaces for cup matches. Spaces are positioned in covered three-tiered area in the South East corner of the stadium. 16 of the 108 home spaces are located at the top of the new quadrants (8 in each) accessed via lifts, note these are especially high up. PA’s are seated next to wheelchair users.
Places for ambulant disabled supporters 20 for home supporters and 2 for away supporters are located in lower East Stand, elevated and covered, with additional grab rails and easy access walkway.
NB: Under existing minimum standards for accessible stadia, the club should have 282 wheelchair spaces (240 home and up to 42 away). 75% of these should be elevated positions and the remaining 25% pitchside.
LPF's view is that many disabled supporters should be able to access general seating areas and only those with specific needs eg those who require extra legroom, or access via aisle seats or who need step free access etc should be allocated seats in the dedicated areas.
Based on the above, the club therefore only meets 42% of the guidance and has a shortfall of 182 wheelchair spaces. They should be working on a plan to rectify this deficit within a reasonable timeframe under the auspices of a full independent Access Audit.
8 accessible toilets are located adjacent to disabled supporters' area, two of which are within the disabled supporters' lounge (The Ability Suite). This is an interactive suite for disabled users only and has full refreshment facilities at low-level counter. Access is steward-controlled.
Accessible services & information
There 20 seats available with match commentary, together with a further 20 places for PA’s seated adjacent. 2 places (3 for cup matches) available to visiting supporters. Radio headsets are available on match days and away supporters should request these prior to the match. No audio described commentary. Club match commentary is available on Manchester United Radio (1413 AM) or MUTV. Audio CD match day programmes are available on request. Induction loop facilities are available at all customer contact points.
Manchester United welcomes any disabled person using an assistance dog but they request advanced notification (in line with GDBA/Assistance Dogs guidelines). They ask each owner to ensure that their assistance dog is made familiar with the surrounding area of the stadium prior to the matchday in order to allow them to work properly and not compromise the welfare of their dog.
Updated October 2013.
Club Additional Information
For confidential club complaints please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Comments about Manchester United :
If you would like to make your own comment, click the 'MAKE A COMMENT' button below -
you do not have to join the site in order to make a comment.
Note: in an effort to ensure dialogue is fair and without malice, all comments are evaluated by Level Playing Field
before they are published on the site. This can cause a slight delay before comments appear.