Assessment of Accessible Facilities
Club / stadium contact for disabled supporters
Charlotte Le Corgne - Ticket Office Manager
08444 77 00 77 or 01702 304122
Disabled Supporters Association
There is no DSA at present.
For UK minimum access standards for new and existing stadia and for good practice guidance please click here.
Getting There & Parking
6 accessible parking spaces are available to home and away supporters by pre booking with the club. They are located 20 metres away. Drop of facilities are available.
National Rail have published links to the nearest stations to sporting venues including Southend United see here for more information.
Level Playing Field have not verified the information given and we suggest that you contact the station direct if you have any access requirements.
Getting a Ticket
For information on purchasing a ticket please visit the Southend United website.
The new Ticket Office at the entrance to the main Roots Hall car park has a designated selling point for wheelchair users.
The Ticket Office can be contacted for full details of the disabled facilities and ticket allocation and disabled supporters are encouraged to contact them to discuss their ticket requirements.
Spectator Viewing areas
Home supporters have 20 spaces for wheelchair users available to them, and these can be found on a raised platform. 4 spaces for wheelchair users can be found at pitchside in the home section for away supporters.
NB: Under existing minimum standards for accessible stadia, the club should have 110 wheelchair spaces (94 home and up to 16 away). 75% of these should be elevated positions and the remaining 25% pitchside.
LPF's view is that many disabled supporters should be able to access general seating areas and only those with specific needs eg those who require extra legroom, or access via aisle seats or who need step free access etc should be allocated seats in the dedicated areas.
Based on the above, the club therefore only meets 22% of the guidance and has a shortfall of 86 wheelchair spaces. They should be working on a plan to rectify this deficit within a reasonable timeframe under the auspices of a full independent Access Audit.
Both home and away fans can use accessible toilets inside the stadium. The club shop is accessible for all fans but does not have a low level serving counter. Catering kiosks in the home section and away sections do not have low level serving counters and so are not fully accessible.
Accessible services & information
The ticket office does not have a hearing loop installed. The textphone number is 01702 304117 and fax number is 01702 304124. Match commentaries are available via headsets available from Stewards in East block A. Facilities for assistance dogs are available. The concourses do have rest areas included.
Updated October 2013.
Comments about Southend United:
If you would like to make your own comment, click the 'MAKE A COMMENT' button below -
you do not have to join the site in order to make a comment.
Note: in an effort to ensure dialogue is fair and without malice, all comments are evaluated by Level Playing Field
before they are published on the site. This can cause a slight delay before comments appear.